Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Grandmother in Hot Springs

This is a picture of grandma Smith, me (all small unidentified boys become me) and an unknown woman in front of grandma's house in Hot Springs. The building across the street is, I think, a church. Don't you love the adobe architecture? This was on a street on the east side of town, across the main drag from the school and a couple of blocks away. The time would have been about 1945 or so. The woman is dressed quite nattily, but I don't think it's Mom. She doesn't have the right gestalt. Grandmother would have been nearly 60 by then. The time was early spring, because the trees hadn't leafed out, but grandma isn't wearing a coat, so it can't have been too cold. I remember it snowing only once while we lived there. In the morning there was snow, so Dad built us a sled out of scrap lumber, but by the time he had it finished, the snow had melted.

2 comments:

Liz Adair said...

Nope. That's Mom. I wonder if that was during the war when Dad was away in Puerto Rico. I think we went back to New Mexico and lived with Grandmother for a while in a house in that part of town.

Liz Adair said...

We could find that house from the church across the street, que no?